Step 1. Do I need help?
Ask yourself the following questions:
Do I need help now or in the foreseeable future:
- Around my home with cleaning, meal preparation or transport to appointments or shopping?
- With personal care including bathing, dressing or grooming?
Step 2. My Aged Care Registration
If you answered “Yes” to any of the above, then:
- Call the Government My Aged Care Team on 1800 200 422 or visit www.myagedcare.gov.au
- They will register you over the phone and arrange an appointment to be assessed for a Home Care Package
Step 3. Assessment & Allocation
Assessment for a Home Care Package:
- The Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT) will visit your home and assess you for a Home Care Package
- If eligible, you will receive approval of your package (and level) from My Aged Care within 10 days
- It can take between 6 to 12 months to be allocated a package.
Step 4. Research Approved Providers
While you are waiting for your Home Care Package allocation, contact Approved Providers in your area:
- They will provide you with information, their fees and proposed hours of care per week
- They may visit you to discuss your care needs
Step 5. Sign & Start your HCP
Once you receive you Home Care Package Allocation Letter:
- You have 56 days to choose your provider and enter into a Home Care Package agreement
- Services will start normally within 14 days
- You can change your Approved Provider at anytime and transfer your funds