Sheila Raphael will celebrate her 100th birthday in the way that she has always wanted – with family, friends, cake and plenty of laughs.
Sheila was born on May 29, 1917 and in that 100 years has seen and lived through plenty, including: the advent and popularity of the motor car, the Great Depression, a long-distance relationship with her husband during World War Two, the IRA’s presence during the time of The Troubles in Northern Ireland and, the birth of her two sons – Martin and David.
A tribute to Sheila’s life can be seen here, as featured in ‘The Manly Daily‘ on Friday June 3, 2017.
Highlights of Sheila Raphel’s life:
- She was born in Longford in the British Ireland and was the daughter of a Methodist Minister, moving with her family every two to three years to a different parish. She attended Art School and became a Carpet Designer before World War Two commenced.
- On her birthday in 1942, she married Peter Raphael, who was serving in the British Army in Belfast during World War Two. After a three-day honeymoon, Peter was sent to India for the remainder of the war. They reunited in London in 1946.
- Sheila’s first-born son, Martin, was born in 1951 in Glasgow, Scotland. The three of them emigrated to Australia in 1954 and lived in Beecroft in Sydney. Her second son, David was born in 1959 in Hornsby Hospital, Sydney.
- The family then moved to Johannesburg in South Africa and lived there from 1961 to 1965. During the difficult time of Apartheid, Sheila was to witness a historical period.
- In South Africa and in Australia, Sheila joined various art schools and honed her artistic talent – portrait and landscape painting. She was highly commended in the Portia Geach Memorial Awards in the late 1970’s for her portrait of Mrs Batholomew, a local identity of the upper North Shore. She was delighted, thrilled and humbled by this achievement.
- Sheila has a strong constitution – surviving the Rheumatic Fever in her early childhood and the European Flu following World War One. This determination and love of life is demonstrated in her many paintings and sketches that can be found in her studio.
Sheila Raphel’s secret to a happy life
Sheila believes that the secret to a happy life is enjoying what you have in the moment and not to wish for too much more.
Sheila still lives at home supported with a Home Care Package through Oxley Home Care and receives twice daily visits from her Care Workers to help prepare her meals, do her grocery shopping and assist with her personal care.
Sheila loves sitting at her chair at home overlooking Pittwater while reading a good book and enjoying a glass of sherry.
Many happy returns Sheila on your 100th birthday, from all of us at Oxley Home Care!
About Oxley Home Care:
Oxley Home Care, established in 2006, is a family-owned Sydney company and is an Approved Provider of Home Care Packages funded by the Commonwealth Department of Health. These packages are designed to provide assistance to the elderly, to remain living independently at home.
To arrange a comprehensive assessment by your local Aged Care Assessment Team, contact My Aged Care on 1800 200 422 or visit the My Aged Care website.
Our friendly team at Oxley Home Care can provide a simple estimate of home care fees and services, based on your individual needs. Please feel free to call us on 1300 993 591 for further information.Tags: Aged care at home, Aged care at home Sydney, Community home care services Sydney, DVA Nursing Northern Beaches, Home care company, Home Care Company Sydney, Home Care Package Level 1, Home Care Package Level 2, Home Care Package Level 3, Home Care Package Level 4, Home Care Packages Northern Sydney, Home Care Packages Sydney, Home Care Prices Sydney, Home care provider Sydney, Home care services, Home Care Sydney, In home care provider Sydney, In home care Sydney, In-home care, Oxley Home Care, Oxley Home Care Sydney, Sydney community home care services, Sydney Home Care package company, Sydney in home care